Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Fallen

We had a fun time picking out our Christmas tree Sunday afternoon and came right home and decorated it. It was the last of our decorations to go up and the kids (actually, all of us) were so excited to see it lit up that night! Sometime during the wee hours of the morning Marshall and I heard a noise, but I was too tired to process it and went right back to sleep. The next morning, this is what greeted us as we came downstairs:



Fallen tree, shattered ornaments, and tons of water everywhere! I spent most of the morning cleaning up the remains and trying to keep little feet out of the room while I mopped. At least the lights stayed intact and Marshall was here to help get it back upright.

At first we blamed the tree (the trunk is a bit crooked and caused several "discussions" about getting the tree straight when we were putting it up the day before), but the more we've thought about it, I have a hunch that a certain weimaraner might have had a part in the downfall of our tree. It made a noise loud enough to wake both Marshall and myself, yet Hank didn't make a sound. He always barks at strange sounds, especially during the night, unless of course, he's the cause of them! Seems a little fishy to me!

At this point, it doesn't matter, but the same tree (with LESS ornaments) hasn't fallen again since we put it back up! And isn't it pretty?

3 comments:

Lottie said...

Oh no Megan!! I think you might be right about Hank doing that - if he was quiet with all that noise - he must have caused it and then got scared. Glad you got it back up and it is beautiful!!

Kelli said...

The first thing I thought was "oh no! broken ornaments!". :( So sad.
And we've been there. In fact, I believe the past few years Evan has actually attached the tree to the ceiling with fishing line! We're pretty sure the dogs knocked ours down as well so this made us feel better. We have hooks by our window for plants so that's what Evan uses, but he's also used the heavy duty staple gun which doesn't leave much of a mark. Or isn't very noticeable year-round for tying it to the ceiling again next year! Just a little tip, especially if Hank likes to drink the water. Amazingly, we had to re-water our tree every single morning. :)
Glad it didn't happen while the kids were around.

Anonymous said...

Your tree is gorgeous! You handled the fall with such grace and class. I'm so impressed! I would have been in tears.